ENR Top 25 GC
The construction of data centers is a growing need worldwide as businesses continue to migrate to cloud and colocation services.
These facilities vary in size, depending on the planned usage – up to one million square feet or more. They are often situated on campuses that cover up to 50 acres – and this number is continually growing.
Scaling jobsite connectivity across large jobsites.
Client: ENR Top 25 GC | Jobsite: Renewable Energy Wind Farm
The construction of data centers is a growing need worldwide as businesses continue to migrate to cloud and colocation services. These facilities vary in size, depending on the planned usage – up to one million square feet or more. They are often situated on campuses that cover up to 50 acres – and this number is continually growing.
With the complexities in design, infrastructure, and systems, it is critical for the GC to have unrestricted access to stakeholders and up-to-date construction documents via the internet at every phase of construction. The mega-corporations commissioning the largest of these data centers understand the value of this connectivity. Today’s owners frequently mandate standards for network accessibility on site to ensure maximum productivity and accuracy throughout construction. ConstructEdge is skillfully positioned to deliver enterprise-level connectivity services and support to these projects, no matter their physical location.
The examples below outline the various ways that ConstructEdge has addressed the unique challenges that can arise with this type of construction. The examples presented are real solutions designed by ConstructEdge and have been anonymized to protect the confidentiality of the respective projects. To read more, download the complete list of case studies.
This data center project consisted of TWO separate “trailer city” locations, located approximately 1 mile apart and consisting of dozens of job trailers. The GC needed a solution that would be scalable over the life of the project and would also eliminate the excessive cellular overages they were incurring during earlier phases of this project.
Location: Midwest Data Center Campus
Client: ENR top 25 company providing advanced construction services across the globe
ConstructEdge’s unique experience with high capacity wireless infrastructure allowed us to build a scalable solution for our client when the local telecom was unable to deliver fiber connectivity in a reasonable time period.
- We started with a 100Mbps backhaul in 2014, which had the capacity to scale up to 1Gbps as soon as the client needed it.
- About a year later, ConstructEdge extended that network into the field to allow for Wi-Fi access as the first phase of construction progressed and buildings were being skinned.
- Eventually, ConstructEdge brought in fiber infrastructure and transitioned the wireless bridge over to the permanent service while proactively preparing to broadcast the signal across the
campus for the 2nd phase of construction.
- We continued to scale this service to meet the client’s needs throughout subsequent phases of construction; maintaining and monitoring the network every step of the way to ensure the reliability of the connection.
The GC saw increased productivity and communication onsite, as well as reduced costs:
- Eliminated cellular overages
- Increased bandwidth output for file & data transfers
- Redundant fiber connectivity dramatically reduced risk of outages
- Both campuses were networked together for seamless communication
- Connectivity throughout the field supported the addition of mobile devices
- Subcontractors were able to leverage the same infrastructure to similarly improve productivity
To learn more about data center construction and how jobsite connectivity enables large scale design-build projects, download the complete case study below.