The dominoes are lined up & ready to fall.
According to a recent study conducted by Dodge Data & Analytics, the AEC (Architecture, Engineering, and Construction) industry is essentially all-in and primed for a massive digital transformation. What does that mean, and what are the implications?
- Technology – specifically mobile applications devoted to real-time project, cost, and labor tracking – is hitting the scene in a big way. Contractors worldwide are seeing the benefits of having this real-time data at their fingertips.
- Field connectivity will continue to become a critical piece of jobsite infrastructure, to ensure the data can actually be saved and shared in real time.
- Instant access to project data trends improves field/home-office communications and makes reporting, estimating, and payroll easier.
- Mobile apps and field technologies improve field staff productivity related to collecting and logging inspection data, easing the burden of the ongoing industry labor shortage.
If you’re one of the companies ready to dive head-first into this depthless pool of technology potential, great! There are a multitude of resources available to help you identify the best technology investments for your organization and to guide you in developing a comprehensive, long-term plan for technology adoption. Here are a few to get you started:
- Construction Technology is a Long-Term Investment (Sourceable)
- The new age of engineering and construction technology (McKinsey & Company)
- Dodge Data Events – in-person and virtual events (Dodge Data & Analytics)
And if you’re not quite ready to take that plunge – maybe you’re more cautious with your investments…like a “dip the toe” type of company. You should check out our recent post naming our 4 favorite mobile applications for construction professionals. Each of these applications can have a huge impact on your bottom line, depending on your type of business. It’s just a matter of figuring out what your technology goals are, and where to start.